Belarusian State Medical University is the main higher medical educational institution of the Republic of Belarus having justified worldwide authority and recognition.
The historical backdrop of the university can be followed back to 1921 when the Medical Faculty was created as a part of the Belarusian State University. The Medical Faculty turned into an independent educational institution in 1930.
On 28 June, 2001 Minsk State Medical Institute was renamed to the state leading higher educational establishment «Belarusian State Medical University».
History of Belarussian State Medical University
- 1925 — the first class of graduates (21 students were awarded the diplomas and qualified as physicians).
- 1930 — the Belarusian State Medical Institute was founded on the base of the Medical Faculty.
- From June, 1941 to October, 1943 the Institute didn’t function and then resumed its work in Yaroslavl (Russia).
- 1944 — the Belarusian State Medical Institute returned to its home place (Minsk).
- 1960 — Dental Faculty was created.
- 1964 — Pediatric Faculty and Faculty of Preventive Medicine started their activity.
- 1967 — Medical Faculty for Foreign Students appeared within the University.
- 1971 — for the achievements in training of specialist, development of Public health service and medical science Minsk State Medical Institute was rewarded with the Order of the Red Banner of Labor by the Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Council of the USSR.
- 1995 — Military Medicine Faculty was opened
- 2001 — the University was granted its current title and status of the leading higher medical institution in Belarus.
- 2011 — Pharmaceutical Faculty appeared within the University.
- Qualification: physician.
- Course of study: 6 years.
The students complete the course of study in four major subject areas: Therapy, Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care.
Among the faculty graduates there are a lot of well-known cardiologists, neurosurgeons, ophthalmologists, radiologists, therapeutists, psychiatrists, oncologists, obstetrician-gynecologists, cosmetologists, pulmonologists and doctors of many other specialties.
Teaching at the University is provided at 72 departments (among them 29 theoretical and 43 clinical). The academic classes are organized at 70 teaching hospitals as well as research and practical centers.
The academic process coordinated by the Academic and Methodology Board consisting of several departments and the Quality Management Sector is carried out at the corresponding faculties.
Accreditation and Licensing
Belarusian State Medical University has excellent research facilities encompassing the Central Research Laboratory that has been functioning since 1954. In 2012 it was reorganized into a Research Division with 6 research laboratories and 8 scientific groups with the total number of about 100 researchers and technical specialists. In terms of research volume and scope, the level of material and technical equipment and personnel involvement the Research Division is comparable with the entire health care research institute. Along with the individual tasks within government programs, the University staff carries out innovative projects and programs funded by the BelarusianFoundation for Fundamental Research. For many years BSMU has been the only educational institution of the Republic of Belarus as the main organization pursuing two state scientific and technical programs.
Belarusian State Medical University successfully accomplishes training of highly qualified scientific personnel. On average the academic staff members and postgraduate students of the University defend 3 doctoral and 30 PhD theses annually.
Currently, Belarusian State Medical University actively introduces modern computing facilities and effective educational technologies, constantly improving standard and special software thus providing and developing information support of the educational process. The University offers a wide selection of computer educational software, access to a large variety of information sources in electronic form including medical web sites.
Indian Students reviews about Belarussian State Medical University | Hostel, Food
Belarussian State Medical University Hostel by Yukti Belwal
Classrooms of Belarussian State Medical University | Yukti Belwal
Anatomy Lab | Belarusian State Medical University 2018
Facts about studying MBBS in Belarus 2018
Top 5 reasons to study MBBS in Belarus
Girls Hostel of Belarussian Medical University
Guidelines for Students by Belarussian State Medical University
- The students are required to attend all practical classes and lectures.
- The students are admitted to the training sessions only if they wear a medical gown and a cap.
- The students are admitted to the examination session, provided that they have met the requirements of the curriculum, have passed the credits and submitted all the other works for the semester.
- Credits and examinations are the final form of assessing the students’knowledge.
- Current academic performance can be checked in the electronic performance register
- The missed classes and lectures must be made up for at extracurricular time within two weeks.
- The classes missed for a legitimate reason are covered up free of charge if there is a medical certificate or another supporting document, which should be provided within 5 days after the recovery.