Poltava is a city located on the Vorskla River in central Ukraine. It is the administrative center of the Poltava Oblast (province), as well as the surrounding Poltava Raion (district) of the oblast. Poltava‘s estimated population is 296,760 (as of 2013).
Poltava has always been one of the most important science and education centres in Ukraine. Poltava Ukrainian Medical & Stomatological Academy (abbreviated as UMSA) is a leading state higher education institution in training physicians and dentists. The academy started its activity in 1921 as the Odontologic faculty of the Kharkiv Medical Academy. In 1967 the institute was transferred to the city of Poltavaand renamed as the Poltava Ukrainian Medical Stomatological Institute, which in 1994 was granted the highest six accreditation level and the status of the PoltavaState Medical University. Its accreditation level IV was confirmed in 2004.
In accordance with the license issued by the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine (Order of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine No. 1352-l as of June 21, 2018), the Ukrainian Medical Stomatological Academy conducts training of specialists in the following programs:
- Dentistry (221, 5 year course)
- Medicine (222, 6 year course)
- Pediatrics (228, 6 year course)
1. Dentistry (7.12010005, 5 year course)
2. General Medicine (7.12010001, 6 year course)
3. Pediatrics (7.12010002, 6 year course)
– Junior specialists:
- Nursing (223, 3 year course – on the basis of complete secondary education, 4 year course – on the basis of basic general secondary education)
- Pharmacy, industrial pharmacy (226, full-time form – 2 year course, on the basis of complete secondary education; 3 year course – on the basis of basic general secondary education, distance – 3 year course on the basis of complete secondary education)
Poltava Ukrainian Medical & Stomatological Academy Provide :
- Preparatory training of Ukrainian citizens for admission to higher educational establishments.
- Preparatory training of foreign citizens for admission to higher educational establishments.
- Advanced training (specialization) in the basic fields (specialties).
- Training of specialists in clinical residency (postgraduate training of doctors).
- Training of foreign citizens and stateless persons in accredited areas (specialties): 221 Dentistry; 222 Medicine; 223 Nursing; 221 Dentistry (junior specialist); 226 Pharmacy, industrial pharmacy.
- Training of foreign citizens in internship (primary postgraduate specialization).
- Training of foreign citizens in clinical residency.
- The Academy employs 92 Doctors of Sciences.
- 408 PhDs.
- 82 persons who have the academic rank of Professor.
- 226 persons who have the academic rank of Associate Professor.
- Among the scientific and pedagogical workers of the Academy there are 6 Laureates of the State Award.
- 10 Honored Doctors of Ukraine.
- 6 Honored Scientists and Technicians of Ukraine
- 1 Honored Worker of Public Health of Ukraine.
- 1 Honored Rationalizer of Ukraine.
- 2 Honored Worker of Education of Ukraine.
Currently, more than 5,200 students study at the Academy, including 5072 students – full time study form, 1326 foreign students, 194 persons in distance form of training.